You’ve heard about CloudFlare many times but still confused if it’s necessary for your server in Vietnam? Read this article to find answer!
- What is CloudFare? How does it work?
CloudFlare is a Content Delivery Network (CDN) which has more features than a Standard CDN has to offer. There are many advantages of cloudflare and some disadvantages also, we’ll have a look at it later in this post. Let’s define cloudflare. Cloudflare is a CDN which sits right in the middle of your domain name and web host. It provides added security to DDoS attacks, It also cache the static resources of your website making your site load faster and putting less load on to the web hosting.
When you setup CloudFlare, you add Cloudflare Name server to your domain and now Cloudflare starts filtering all the request coming to your website. There are few more things involved in between, but in short all the traffic which comes to your website, goes through Cloudflare and it blocks any spam or illegal access, thus protecting your website all the time.
Cloudflare is a free service, with premium packages for high traffic site. It gives you the ability to change your Vietnam server without waiting for the name-servers to propagate. For example, let’s say you have a site hosted with host “A” and you want to migrate to host “B”. You can migrate within minutes, if you are using Cloudflare. But if you are not using Cloudflare, migration can take up-to many hours. Cloudflare has many data-centers around the world, which means that your visitors will be served by the data-center that is nearest to them.
- Advantages of CloudFlare
- It hides your web-host’s original IP address so that any hacker may not be able to attack the server.
- It caches your site’s some resources to load the site quicker and making the actual server work less.
- It gives you the ability to block all the DDoS attacks by changing the site’s security.
- If your site goes down, Cloudflare will continue serving cached data until your site comes back up.
- If your domain registrars don’t provide option to add DNS records, you can use Nameservers of CF and add host’s DNS records there.
- Cloudflare’s base offering is free of cost and allows you to add multiple number of domains.
- You can block access to your site for certain regions or countries, if you are receiving many attacks from particular countries.
- It gives you free SSL, which you can use on shared host as well.
- Disadvantages of CloudFlare
- As Cloudflare acts as a man-in-the-middle, If Cloudflare goes down, then your site will also go down, even if your server VN is up.
- Cloudflare allows you to change the security of website to “I am under attack” mode, which blocks all DDoS attempts. But it also blocks all the robots, which is a minus for some people.
- Sometimes Cloudflare acts weird, like it sometimes disallow access to the site, but it happens once in a blue moon.